These caves were excavated and inhabited in the late 18th century after the explosion of volcano in 1707. After the earthquake of 1956 the front part were destroyed and ruined. At 2016 it was reconstructed by architect Stogiannidis Grigoris (Glygoris) and team of builders. During the renovation we used only the local traditional building materials such as LAVAPLASTER (pressed cement screed), BETONITE, NATURAL HYDRAULIC LIME, QUARTS SAND, VULCANO ASH etc.
Design, interior and exterior is based on memories and descriptions of some old-timers.